Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Do You Use This On Your Hair?

I was so honored today when I was nervously picking out styling tools and products in Sally Beauty today, a young woman maybe a couple of years asked me "Do you use this on your hair?" Now of course being the natural hair enthusiast that I am, I had already spotted my fellow curly girl, but I was shocked when she asked me for my advice. Once she asked me the question, I glanced down to see the Eco Styler Olive Oil Styling Gel perched in her hand. I smiled, and I told her my opinion about it. I told her about the mistakes I made with it. She received my advice well, and I think that I helped her reach a good decision.
She informed me that a local knowledgeable about natural hair did her Big Chop last month. I was so happy for her because a lot of us start off all wrong without any guidance or the first clue on how to care for our hair. I also went back to four months ago when I was in El Cajon, California pacing up and down the Wal-Mart hair product aisle. I was so frustrated while I read ingredient lists, and scanned passers-by in hopes of finding another person of my race (a rarity within itself) rocking his/her kinky-curly hair (darn near impossible). My stylist in El Cajon, the lovely Ms.Yolande of La Dolce Belladonna Salon & Spa, was natural, but the products she used for her own hair were a little out of a sister's price point. (lol) It just would have been nice to have a non-licensed natural give me the scoop on his/her regimen or a new conditioner that worked wonders for him/her.
Now that I'm seeing more and more naturals in my town, I hope my experience will be replicated exponentially with other naturals. Stepping into the Wonderful World of Natural Hair Oz can be both exhilarating and terrifying. If you see another naturilsta(o) dwelling in bewilderment, help her/him out. Be the beacon of light that you wished you had when you were in her/his position. :)

2 comments:

  1. I live in the land of Caucasia and it's rare to find a woman of my "kind" anywhere but literally when I do I have to resist the urge to run up to her and start asking her where she gets her scarves/earrings/afro sheen, etc. And I get the sense they have to restrain themselves too. A wink usually conveys that WHOLE conversation nicely without a word. Unless I seriously need to find a product then we talk of course. ;o)

    My best, Lynn

    ReplyDelete