Tuesday, October 26, 2010

So...What Are You Going to Do Now?

  Now that most of my friends and family have seen my hair a few of them have the same question "What are you going to do with it now that it's natural?"  Do the majority of women with relaxed hair and men think that the only two natural styles are the blown-out fro and locks?  Natural hair is not only capable of styles specifically created for natural hair but also capable of most if not all of the relaxed hair styles. I can do roller sets and permrod sets just like I did when I was relaxed.  I can do strawsets (on actual straws).  I can create up-dos, Bantu knots, and fro-hawks with my hair.  My hair can be cornrowed, flat twisted, double strand twisted, finger coiled, comb coiled, or pinned up on one side.  If I so desired (but I don't) I could get sew-ins, quick weaves, micros, box braids with extensions, kinky twists, and even (gasp) straight hair.
  Why do others think that natural hair is so limited? Did you think that before your hair was natural?  I didn't.  I knew that natural hair could do anything that relaxed hair could and more even when I was young.  Maybe it's coming from the same place as the "Natural hair is unmanageable" bull feces does.  I don't know.  What are your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment